Food is the basic and main reason for our survival. So it is very important to ensure healthy food. We often use different types of grills to make food. After cooking on the grill, it becomes unclean.
Now, if you ask why and how to clean grill grates? The answer would be, many of us like cooking on the grills. If you use the grill for many days, it becomes unclean. This causes cooking problems and makes the food unhealthy.
So every griller needs to keep the grill grates clean. As if the taste of the food is intact and good for health. Today we will discuss how to keep the grill clean easily and properly. If you are one of them, be sure to read the discussion.
Why Should Clean Grill Grates
We should focus on keeping everything clean and tidy. Grates should also be kept clean after grilling to ensure healthy food and reduce fire risk. Below are some more serious reasons to keep grill grates clean:
Reduce the risk of fire
Grease often sticks to the grill or grates after cooking. If not cleaned for a long time, grease accumulates in ingrates or other places on the grill or in burners. Grease evaporates and burns, causing it to catch fire. So regular cleaning should be done to avoid dangerous situations.
Eliminate harmful bacteria
Tiny particles of meat cooked for a long time get stuck in the grate. Bacteria are caused by not keeping the food stuck every day clean, which spreads in and around the grates. So to destroy the bacteria, it is necessary to keep the grates clean.
Maintaining food quality
You will always want your food to be served with delicious and wonderful flavors. But grill grates give you a bad smell from pre-cooked food pieces unless you have been cleaning these things. So it is everyone’s responsibility to keep it clean after cooking to ensure fresh and delicious food.
Almost all types of grill grates on the market are made of cast iron. Although iron grill grates are ideal for grilling, uncleanness affects the durability of the iron. Excessive moisture, exposure to frozen grease or water can cause rust and decay.
Three type Grill Grates- How to Clean it?
The food sticks to the grill grate during cooking. It can rust if it lasts for a long time. So keep it clean regularly to prevent rust and make the food delicious.
Find out what type of grill grate you used before cleaning. Some grates are made of porcelain, stainless steel or cast iron. Let’s find out how to clean these grill grates.
How to clean porcelain grill grates char broil? Then look – It can retain heat and prevent rust. So it is your responsibility to clean it carefully.
Many times scraping the porcelain will expose the metal below. So that water can enter and create a mirage. If you are a porcelain grill user, you can follow the steps below:
- Avoid metal or wire brushes to clean the grill grate.
- Use a soft-bristle or nylon grill brush to clean.
- Remove leftover food from the grill.
- When the grill is cold, scrub with a soft cleaning brush.
- Not to scratch when rubbing with metal objects.
Cast Iron Grates
It is very durable with equal cooking surface making. Quite advanced with high temperature holding capacity. Will withstand everything except water contact.
Usually, rust has a greater effect on iron. So after cleaning, burn the remaining food and let it cool. When cool, rub the grates with vegetable oil. Hopefully, it will prevent rust. Use a wire brush if necessary.
Stainless Steel Grates
A common question is -” how to clean stainless steel grill grates?” These grates are extremely heated tolerant and excellent as rust-resistant. It takes a quick brush to clean.
Stainless steel is durable from porcelain or cast iron. There is nothing special about cleaning. However, it is better to clean the grates after drying. This makes it less likely to rust.
How To Clean Grill Grates With Better Tools
Most grill users often use a wire brush. This brush becomes dangerous in various ways. The wire bristles are mixed into the food during cleaning. That’s why we’re eating wire bristles without realizing it.
Our body is at risk for this unforeseen event. So each of us should act with caution. For that, We will give you some alternative cleaning methods so that you can ensure proper cleanliness.
- Nylon Scouring Pad
Nylon pads are light and handy. It is quite good for rubbing. It will be effective to clean the grates without any scratches. You can keep it with you for initial use or to ensure hassle-free.
- Aluminum Foil
This is known as aluminum foil or tin foil in the market. It is like thin paper and a shiny metal sheet. It is well known for the neatness of the grill grates. Works very strongly in removing any stains and residues at grates.
- Grill Stone
If you want chemical-free tools in grill cleaning, this is great for you. It is completely safe because it is made of pumice stone, which does not allow you to be toxic. After rubbing at the grates, clean it with water or a soft cloth.
Surprising to hear, but it’s awesome. You can clean grill grates with only half an onion. Use the chopped onion in the grill grates. Its acidic enzyme is enough to break down the grease.
How To Clean Grill Grates– Effective & Easy Ways
We already understand the importance of keeping grill grates clean. Here are some easy ways to let you know, which seemed acceptable to me.
- Use Vinegar
Many do not know how to clean barbecue grill grates with vinegar. So we are trying to give a simple idea below
- Mix two cups of vinegar with two cups of water in a spray bottle.
- Once mixed, apply the spray to the grill grates.
- Then when sprayed, let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, clean the grates with a grill brush.
- Once cleaned, do not wash in water.
- Clean with Hot, Soapy Water
The best way is to clean the grates with hot, soapy water as an easy way. Most users clean up this process every month.
- First separate the grates from the grill.
- Then gently rub the grill grates.
- Soak in soapy water for about 1 hour. Rinse after soaking.
- Place the grates on the grill. Then turn off the lid and let it warm up.
- After a while let it cool. Start rubbing the remnants of the grill grates. Use a grill brush to rub it.
The steam-cleaning process is one of the best ways to clean the grill grate. Many people think it is an easy method. Only one sponge and water is enough to clean this method.
- Heat the grill to a temperature of 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Refrain from heat when hot.
- Place a tin (with water) on the grates.
- Keep the lid closed for 30 minutes and let it evaporate well.
- Scrubbing with a silicone sponge will loosen the build-up.
How To Clean Grill Grates For Stuck Food
Just keeping the grill clean is not an ideal job. Some parts of it remain unclean if the grates are not cleaned properly. Even some foods stick to the grates that are not cleaned with a grill brush.
The grill should be thoroughly cleaned at least once a year. If you want to clean deep now! Then you can apply a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. So let’s know a little bit about how to apply it.
- First remove the grates from the grill.
- Then take a bag that can hold the grates. Mix 2 cups of vinegar and 1 cup of baking soda in it.
- After a while, a kind of foam will produce.
- Wrap the grates in a bag and seal with a tight rubber band.
- Soak the grates overnight. Or wait for 8-12 hours a day. When done, wash it off with water.
- Hopefully, the food that sticks to the grates will go away.
- If sticky food remains, it will get up if rubbed.
- Finally rinse with cold water then dry.
Two Effective Methods to Clean Grill Grates
Nowadays, there are some good quality grills for grilling. Which usually has many advantages. Depending on the structure and characteristics, in some cases, the method of cleaning grates is almost the same or different. So let’s learn about two such grill grates below:
Char-Broil Tru Infrared Grill Grates
Char-Broil Tru grill grates use infrared technology, which gives users control over cooking food with higher temperatures. Infrared heat helps prevent stains on the grill surface. As well as giving the added benefit of quick-cooking on low gas. There are two ways to clean infrared grates. Here’s a summary of the best and easiest ways for you:
- Spray the grates and warming rack at 8-12 inches from the grates surface, using char‑broil’s grates cleaner.
- Run the cleaner for 4-5 minutes to penetrate the grease.
- Once sprayed, scrub with a char‑broils brush.
- Then wipe with a soft and dry cloth.
- Rub the grates with a safe brush of char-broils to remove any food left on the grill.
- Then soak the grill grates in soapy water and wash with a sponge.
- Dry and use.
Weber Genesis Grill Grates
How to clean weber genesis grill grates? The subject may seem a little difficult for newcomers. Because it usually comes with two grill grates, cast iron and porcelain. Whose level of cleanliness is different. It is very easy to clean the Weber genesis grill grates. Below are some simple ways to clean up:
- Make sure the grates are cool before cleaning.
- Remove food residue, burnt food particles or grease with a brush.
- Remove the grates and soak them in soapy water or detergent, then wash.
- Once washed, let them dry and replace them in the grill later.
- Use a grill brush to remove food particles or residue.
- Use a round brush to clean the food particles stuck inside the grooves of the grates.
- You can clean the grates by soaking the brush in water for the best results. Every time you turn the grates, rub it well.
- Then use the grill when it is dry.
Some Cleaning Hacks on Grill Grates
Learn how to clean grill grates the right way. Follow the included instructions on the grill. This way the grilled food will be safe and taste good. Below are some tips for the convenience of the user
- Use a small amount of grill spray or canola oil when grilling first. It is better to grill fatty foods in grill grates.
- Keep the grease trap clean and make sure the burner and flame tent is ok.
- Clean the food stuck in the bottom of the grates.
- If a grease fire occurs, turn off the burner and keep the lid closed until the fire is extinguished.
- Refrain from using water to extinguish grease fires.
- Onions contain antibacterial compounds, which can be cooked safely using grates. So cut the onion in half and rub it with grates.
- Refrain from using harsh caustic or oven cleaner. No need to put it in the dishwasher.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to high heat because it can distort the grill grates.
- You can use high smoke point oils such as avocado oil or canola oil.
- Virgin olive oil should not be used more than 400 °F because it can become sticky.
- Grates for deep cleaning can clean in the sink or washtub, enough to remove marinades and sauces.
User Feedback On How to Clean Grill Grates
Users have given different opinions about cleaning grill grates. There are some similarities between users based on this opinion. Let’s take a look at the following combined methods
- The best way to clean is to brush and burn. It is also good to clean or soak deep once a year.
- While cleaning the grates by hand, rub them well. As if no part of the grates remains to be cleared.
- Most users say to avoid the use of harsh and caustic chemicals.
- Many people use brillo pads or grill brushes and sponges to rub the grates.
- If the grates are over-cleaned, they need to be re-season.
- Stainless steel grates are rust-resistant. The non-stick capacity of its components will lose without regular maintenance.
- You can use grill cleaner’s fast-acting formula to remove grill grates’ grease, food, and carbon deposits.
- It has to be cleaned after cooking on the grill grates. So if the grates are hot, clean them in the cold.
- For basic cleaning, mix 60% vinegar with 40% water. Then spray the grates well and wait a while for good results.
- Most users have raised the issue of safety when cleaning grill grates. For safe cleaning, use a bristol-free or stiff nylon grill brush.
Some Common Questions About Cleaning Grates
- How to protect your grill from rain or destruction?
Ans: BBQs can be protected from rain or debris with a good quality grill cover.
- How to remove burnt-on grease from grill grates?
Ans: Make a paste with a mixture of baking soda and liquid dish soap. Pour the paste well into the grates. As if no part is left out. Once the paste is applied, let it soak for 30 minutes. Then rub, wash and dry.
- How do you clean the grill with vinegar?
Ans: Make a solution by mixing a small amount of vinegar with water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution all over the grill. Leave on for half an hour at the end of the spray. Then spray again with a small amount of neat vinegar and let it sit again for 30 minutes. Then clean.
- Can a gas or electric power washer be used to clean the grill?
Ans: A gas or electric power washer is a good alternative for grill cleaning. Cleaning requires a unit efficiently that produces 1.3 GPM at 2000PSI.
- Is it ok to cook on rusty grates?
Ans: The grates can be cleaned with a little rust on the surface, or you can repair it for use. But the loose rust of grill grates is unsafe, which is often mixed with food. As a result, intestinal complications occur when it enters the body with food.
Foods and grease often get stuck in the grill if not cleaned regularly after cooking on the grill. As a result, food stuck in the grates becomes waste and germs are created.
The problems with the use of grill grates are simply due to your negligence. If you don’t take good care of the grill grates, they will rust and become unusable after a few days. So your awareness will ensure the quality of your food. It is also important to take care of your desired grill for long-term use.